Friday, November 27, 2009

Friday, November 27, 2009

I spent most of the day at the hospital with Mom. She has spent way too much time there by herself, watching Dad suffer and slip away. Dr. Rahim was able to have a coherent, honest conversation with Dad about Dad's condition. Dad was able to tell Dr. Rahim that he was ready to quit fighting and go to Heaven to be with his son. Dr. Rahim told Dad that they would make sure he is comfortable, that he will not be in pain, and that there is nothing to be afraid of. The look of relief on Dad's face was enough to let me, Murry and Mom know that it is indeed time for Dad to go home. There will be no more medical intervention for Dad. He has been moved back to the rehab center, and hospice will help over the next few days. It is truly time for Dad to go to a much better place, a place where he will no longer be so ill and in pain. At one point, I was in the room alone with Dad. He looked at me and said, "I have to go." I told him, "I know, but it's okay. We will be fine and we will take care of Mom. Please say hello to Randy for me." To which he replied, "Okay, I will."

No comments:

Post a Comment